Hi. I’m Wesley. I like to write. This is my blog.

Friday, May 14, 2010

FIERCE

Went to a benefit last night for FIERCE, an organization that provides services and support to queer youth of color in NYC. Excellent event, packed with fine women. Wore a blue afro wig, black platform boots, a clingy black dress, red lacetop stockings, and danced like I haven't in months. Performances by Stacey Ann Chin, Me'shell N'dege'Ocello, Toshi Reagon, a naughty trans hip-hop outfit from Brooklyn called House of LaDosha, the FIERCE staff, and a youth poet. Here's a pic of Me'Shell throwing down some FIERCE guitar.


A very different show (and very different performer) than when I first saw her 14 years ago in Seattle.

More later on that and the many social/artistic/racial/cultural questions swirling round my head in the wake of the event and this very full week.

But right now I'm paying for my long evening out, and I got hella shit to take care of!

1 comment:

  1. you DO love the city. every pore of it. i'm glad you're out there doin' your thing, dressed to the nines, solo and rockin. way to take advantage or your home plate!

    ReplyDelete