Hi. I’m Wesley. I like to write. This is my blog.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Word of the day: figment

It's the only word that Andy Warhol wanted on his tombstone.


"I always thought I'd like my own tombstone to be blank. No epitaph, and no name. Well, actually, I'd like it to say 'figment.'"


Warhol also said, "Dying is the most embarrassing thing that can ever happen to you, because someone's got to take care of all your details."


Apparently, whoever did so for Warhol hadn't heard, or chose not to acknowledge, his tombstone request. 


Ironic, and a little sad, for someone who was so intent on creating and controlling his public image and his legacy. 


I hope there's always a Campbell's soup can perched on the base of his tombstone in the St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Cemetery in Bethel Park, PA (how the hell did he end up there? a story for another time). It seems it would keep him company.

1 comment:

  1. I, for one, always think of the Banana when I think of Warhol. Of course a banana would not fare very well at a gravesite, so here's to the Soupcan!
    And I want to hear this story you mention about the location of his grave sometime.

    ReplyDelete