Hi. I’m Wesley. I like to write. This is my blog.

Sunday, June 13, 2010

2 Bridges

So. I did it. After three and a half months of biking all over the streets of Brooklyn, I am proud to announce that I popped my biking-from-Brooklyn-to-Manhattan cherry last night, on the day of the NYC Naked Bike Ride, no less. (I did not participate, but had the pleasure of crossing paths with the crew returning from their Manhattan invasion as I biked into the city across the Williamsburg Bridge. As I passed them, I remembered that a girl had given me a flyer about the Ride at a party the night before.) Before I rolled up onto the steep, wide pedestrian/bike walkway, I rode through the heart of Hasidic Jewish Williamsburg, where the stares from the post-shabaat crowd made me think perhaps I should have worn a longer skirt and other footwear besides my knee-high black boots. But. Well. I guess I kinda stare at their clothes too.


Returned to Brooklyn via the Manhattan Bridge, where I looped under the bridge through a scrappy piece of Chinatown at least twice before finding the elusive entrance to the bike lane - which is not to be confused with the pedestrian lane on the other side, or the actual driving lanes, which I learned were not made for cyclists from the symphony of taxi horns that greeted me upon my quickly-aborted initial climb onto the bridge.


It was about 12:45 AM. Silent. Two bikers passed me from the opposite direction, one overtook me from behind. That was it. Just a narrow two-lane strip of bridge enclosed by tight chain-link fence, with subway rails on one side and the Hudson on the other. I thought the water would scare me so I tried not to look at it. But when I did (I couldn't help it), I felt only calm. And that was strange. I'm afraid of heights and (as living in the mountains forced me to admit) a little afraid of nature. Buildings, buses, and subways relax me in ways that trees and pretty views never can. Or so I think. But it was different last night, as the bay's shifting waters soothed me, echoing my movement as I pedaled toward home.


*
About halfway across the bridge I hear a chuckle, a few words. Not from a biker; from the narrow space on the other side of the chain link. The water side. I see a flash of movement, of blankets piled in the 5-foot-wide strip of bridge between the bike lane and oblivion. Someone is staying there. Living on the edge. Literally. Pushed by circumstance or driven by daring, someone who may have very little to lose is planted along this solitary span of concrete, chuckling about some hidden joke as lone bikers push their way past in the night. 


The black waters didn't scare me. But that - yeah. That kinda did. I'm gonna take another bridge home from now on.



No comments:

Post a Comment