Hi. I’m Wesley. I like to write. This is my blog.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Confessions and Commitments

Most posts will not be as self-referential as this one, but I'm clearing the woods and setting the stage, so it kinda has to be.
And so. Here we go.

Confessions:
In the 13+ years since I received an MFA in playwriting, I've continued to write, but not consistently; I've had ideas for theatre projects, but only put a few into action. I've published two children's plays, which are still produced around the US. I've revised them somewhat for 2 recent productions, but they were published over 10 years ago. The most recent play I wrote was a commission 5 years ago, and - suffice it to say that it was not my best work.

In the past 18 months, I have started & stopped four new blogs, each with a new name and new design. This has gotten me writing again, but does not constitute a consistent practice. The creation of a new blog identity every few months is a reach toward a kind of performance, but does not result in putting anything new onstage.

Commitments:
With this blog, I will face, meet, and fill the blank space of the page at least 3 times a week, with engaged thought, active questions, vibrant language. I'm leaving a whole lot open (see rules below), because I know that if I think about the outcome - try to create a Body of Work from these posts - I'll just get in my own way. So - it's all about the practice.

1) (As mentioned above) I must write at least 3 times a week. Daily is even better, and will be attempted as often as possible.

2) (Also as mentioned above) I must stick with this particular blog for at least 12 months. Preferably more.

3) I can write about anything, from the war in Afghanistan to the shape of my toenails to the cultural resonance of Michael Jackson's Thriller video to that weird one-night stand four years ago. To a bizarre movie scene that came to me in a dream. No topic is too big, too small, too smart, or too stupid. Or too taboo.

4) I can, and should, write in any genre and/or form I see fit. Fiction, nonfiction, poetry, playwriting, screenwriting, article, essay, memoir, song lyrics, elegy, fake ad copy. Porn. Recipes. Anything goes.

5) I should write for at least 30, but no more than 60 minutes at a time, to ensure that I don't get carried away/bogged down in a topic and end up being late to work or not doing the dishes and then use that as an excuse not to write as often. There will be exceptions - longer projects that demand more time - but they will be deliberate, not accidental.

6) I will only write what I want to write, not what I think someone else wants me to write or what I hope will make me look cool or exciting. I can write with an eye toward publishing or producing, and probably will - but I don't have to. Which will allow me, I think, to be more productive than I would be if I were telling myself I had to. At least that's my hunch about it now.

7) I will remember - and expect - that the process will sometimes be painful and confusing and vulnerable in ways cause discomfort. I will accept this and do it anyway.

8) I will enjoy it and remember that I am lucky to be a writer - the way a dog is lucky to be a dog. I don't really have a choice, but if I accept it and embrace it wholeheartedly, the way a dog embraces being a dog, I can live an authentic, productive life, and also have a whole lot of fun - maybe almost as much as a dog. Which, for a human, is a pretty big deal.

5 comments:

  1. Other than the absolute clarity and determination that shines through in your debut post, this is my favorite part: "I will...remember that I am lucky to be a writer - the way a dog is lucky to be a dog." I think I might share that with my students this morning. ~ks

    ReplyDelete
  2. i look forward to checking this blog out...and reading all your little confessions! adrienne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - thank you for the good words, y'all. Katey - what you said in your recent email is true - using one's own name on the blog does up the ante! In a good way for sure. I look forward to continuing and getting feedback from smart thoughtful readers like the two of you! xo. w.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just glad to see the page is not blank any more. I came here quite a while back and have wondered if you were ever going to get around to this :)
    Now if I can just take a cue from you and get off my own duff......

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh shit #8 just made me cry.
    brilliant good stuff. thanks.

    ReplyDelete